Retired teacher demands action for gun control
The “thoughts and prayers” of Americans must give cold comfort to families victimized by the current mass shooting of our children in Parkland, Florida. Elected officials must take steps to curb this scourge by:
1. Expanding and strengthening universal background checks.
2. Requiring longer waiting periods for gun purchases (two weeks, at least.)
3. Eliminating the purchase of guns at gun shows.
4. Eliminating the purchase of guns from private owners.
5. Eliminating military grade weapons including enhancing devices such as bump stocks.
6. Eliminating ammunition which is either armor piercing or is sold in large clips.
7. Requiring a license for each weapon owned.
8. Requiring child security locks.
9. Requiring a purchaser must be at least 21 years old.
10. Requiring anyone with domestic violence issues be banned from possessing guns.
11. Requiring liability insurance coverage for each gun owned.
12. Requiring certificates of gun safety classes within a certain period of time before the purchase of any weapon.
Our elected officials must answer to our children, and to the voters in November.