March at the COAPublished 9:23pm Wednesday, February 22, 2012
March 1, Thursday: Medication Drop-off. Bring in unused, expired or unwanted medications for proper disposal from 10 a.m. to noon. Medications must be in their original, labeled containers and signed in when dropped off. Medications will not be accepted at any other time.
• March 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29, Thursdays: Dance Club. Dance to a variety of musical styles and enjoy the fellowship of friends. 9 a.m.
• March 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, Fridays: Knitting and Crocheting. The group is open to anyone who likes to knit or crochet, regardless of skill level. They share techniques, stories and fun while knitting items to donate to charity. 10 a.m. to noon.
• March 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26 and 28, Mondays and Wednesdays: Let’s Move. This new class combines stretching, balance and range of motion exercises to help improve mobility. 9:45 to 10:15 a.m. Cost is $15 per month.
• March 5 and 19, Mondays: Quilting Club. Use or develop your quilting skills to make items for donation to groups in need. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• March 6, 13 and 20: Brain Boot Camp. Spring cleaning for your brain! Learn strategies for remembering, building mental stamina and focusing attention through lessons based on the most current brain research. Advance registration is required, and the cost for this series is $25. 1 to 3 p.m.
• March 7, 14, 21 and 28, Wednesdays: Cribbage Club. Open to Cribbage players of all skill levels, play begins at 1 p.m. on Wednesdays.
• March 8, 15 and 22, Thursdays: Journeying With your Parents as They Age. Prepare your family for the good and bad of aging, and discover how to help make the decisions that really matter most. Registration required for this class, made possible in part by a service grant with the Area Agency on Aging, Region IV. 10 a.m.
• March 12-16, all week: Brain Awareness Week. Your brain does so much for you, stop in and enjoy our special events and gather information on how to keep it in shape. Watch for details at facebook.com/CassCOA.
• March 12, Monday: Brain Aerobics. “Fitness for your Mind” exercises the brain and stimulates neurons. This is a free class, but you must register due to space limitations. This class is open to everyone. 10 a.m. to noon. Same class is repeated on Tuesday at the First United Methodist Church in Dowagiac.
• March 12, Monday and March 28, Wednesday: Computer Assistance. Friendly volunteers from the Cass District Library will help individuals with computer issues in our redesigned Information Center. Use our computers of ring your laptop. March 12 from 1 to 3 p.m. and March 28 from 10 a.m. to noon.
• March 14, Wednesday: Estate Planning. Representative from Westerbeke Law Firm, PLLC will provide tips in making sure your wishes are carried out after you are gone. Register by calling 445-8110. 12:30 p.m.
March 14, Wednesday: Clay Pot Decorating. This fun decorative craft class will help unleash creativity — plus you take home a handy clay pot. Cost is $5 and registration is needed to ensure adequate supplies. 1 p.m.
• March 16, Friday: St. Patrick’s Day Party. Everyone’s Irish for St. Patrick ’s Day, and we’ll have music, green beer and fun. Irish atmosphere is free; lunch costs about $5. Noon.
• March 16, Friday: Bunco. Enjoy the popular dice game for just $1 immediately following the St. Patrick’s Day Party (about 1 p.m.) We’ll teach new players and have lots of fun.
• March 16, Friday: Book Club. “Read and Share” will discuss “The Glass Castle” by Jeanette Walls. 1 to 2:30 p.m.
• March 30, Friday: Bed Bugs 101. Learn what you can do about bed bugs and other pests from a certified entomologist. Free, 12:30 p.m.
These are just some of the activities and classes that the Council on Aging has to offer. For more information on this or other Council on Aging programs, call 445-8110 or (800) 323-0390 or visit www.casscoa.org.
Cass Council on Aging is located at the corner of M-60 and Decatur Road in Cassopolis.
All activities are free of charge and at the Council on Aging unless another location is specified.