Niles Education Foundation awards more than $10,400 to school projects
NILES — The Niles Education Foundation awarded nine teachers more than $10,400 in funding with the goal to enhance and enrich the learning environment for students in Niles Community Schools. The awards were part of the 2018 fall grant and project cycle, which were approved earlier this year.
• Joseph Morsaw, Niles High School for magnetic levitation vehicles
• Angelecque Thornton and Dawn Green, Cedar Lane for “Why Try?”
• Paula Rose, Eastside, Connections for home learning kits
• Scott Morgan, Ring Lardner Middle School for equipment for 21st century arts
• Jennifer Duis, Northside Elementary for fine motor development
• Debra Burkhard, Ballard Elementary for “An Ant’s Life”
• Cody Armstrong and Alicia Kuntz, Ring Lardner Middle School for “What’s Your Word”
The role of the Niles Education Foundation is to garner private support and public engagement for Niles Community Schools. Since its establishment in 2009, the nonprofit foundation has invested more than $185,000 for the enhancement of public education at Niles Community Schools.
The community is invited to join the Niles Education Foundation at their next fundraising event the “Wanted Dead or Alive” murder mystery. The event will be performed by the Murder Mystery Co., performance group based in Grand Rapids. In this murder mystery scenario, a variety of characters show up at the local watering hole and instigate trouble. Some of the actors involved include, “maverick gunslingers,” “spurned lovers” and a “sheriff who is not very good at his job.” Those who attend are encouraged to wear Western attire.
The murder mystery will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, March 1, at the Elks Lodge, 1322 Canal St. in Niles. Tickets are $40 per person and include a barbecue dinner. A cash bar will also be available. Tickets can be purchased by visiting the Niles Education Foundation’s website at nileseducationfoundation.org or by contacting Lisa Muñoz at (574) 850-1141. Tickets are limited, so those interested are encouraged to make their purchase as soon as possible.