Leader Publications news products take home numerous awards
GRAND RAPIDS — Leader Publications’ news team took home 10 awards in the Michigan Press Association’s 2018 Better Newspaper Contest.
Contest entries were reviewed by judges in the New York Press Association. There were 3,065 entries submitted to the contest in four classes of newspapers, which included entries published before August 2018.
The Niles Daily Star, which is classified as a Class D daily newspaper, earned the following awards:
- First place — Spot news coverage of the historic flooding in Niles, Kelsey Hammon
- First place — Page design, “War stories,” Ambrosia Neldon
- Second place — Page design, “45th Annual Four Flags Area Apple Festival,” Ambrosia Neldon
- Third place — Page design, “The right to choose,” Ambrosia Neldon and Emily Sobecki
- Third place — Special section, Horizons, staff
- Third place — News enterprise reporting, “Preparing for the worst” Closer Look, Kelsey Hammon and Sarah Culton
- Third place — Feature story, “A good listener: Dowagiac woman offers support to people with hearing loss,” Sarah Culton
The Edwardsburg Argus, which is classified as a Class D weekly newspaper, earned the following awards:
- First place — Government/education news, “New EPS superintendent announced,” Andrew Mentock
- First place — Page design, “In a Pickle,” Ambrosia Neldon
In addition to these awards, Ambrosia Neldon earned honorable mention recognition for best writing. This open-class contest included entries from newspapers of all sizes. The award recognized the story, “One step at a time: Dowagiac man shares story of recovery.”
“Our editorial team and our products continue to improve each year, and I am thoroughly pleased to see our team rewarded for its efforts,” said Neldon, general manager. “We look forward to unveiling new projects in the works and providing even better news coverage in the coming year.
Leader Publications publishes two daily newspapers: The Niles Daily Star and Dowagiac Daily News; two weekly newspapers: The Cassopolis Vigilant and Edwardsburg Argus; two lifestyle magazines: Michiana Life and South Bend Life; and two shoppers: The West Zone Leader and the East Zone Leader.