Dowagiac spring clean up to begin April 25
In spite of the spat of snow flurries and chilly temperatures seen in the area over the past week, Dowagiac is in fact in the midst of another spring season.
As with previous years, the city will be lending a hand to residents seeking to rid their households of old and unwanted items with its annual Spring Cleanup program, which takes place this year from April 25-29. Waste disposal crews will be winding their way through city streets that week, collecting things such as furniture, appliances and other household debris left out for pickup outside residents within city limits.
In order to be eligible for pickup, the items must fall within these guidelines:
• Refuse must be neatly placed curbside in an orderly fashion.
• No refrigerators, freezers, or air conditioners will be accepted unless
certification sticker is placed on item indicating that the freon has been removed.
• No household garbage will be accepted.
• No individual item over 5-feet long, 3-feet wide, or 3-feet high, weighing over 100 pounds will be accepted.
• No automotive/marine batteries will be accepted.
• No tires or rims will be accepted.
• No materials that are prohibited from disposal in TYPE II landfills (paints, solvents, oils, etc.) will be accepted. (Note: Paint cans that are open and contain only DRY paint will be accepted.)
• No propane cylinders will be accepted.
• All construction/demolition material must be less than one cubic yard in total volume for curbside pickup.
• No lawnmowers or small engines will be accepted unless the gasoline has been completely drained.
• Total curbside volume shall not exceed 3 cubic yards.
• Windows, glass, and mirrors must be less than 3 feet by 4 feet in size.
The city has contracted Republic Services/Reliable Disposal, based out of Kalamazoo, to handle the cleanup effort. The same company handled the pickup last year as well.
Residents must place any materials they wish to picked up for disposal curbside prior to 6 a.m. Monday, April 25. Materials can be placed outside no sooner than Saturday, April 23; people who do so sooner than this date will be subject to penalties, as per the city blight ordinance.
Crews will pass by a street for pick up only once throughout the week. Residents will be responsible for cleaning up and disposing any remaining debris.
Residents who wish to recycle their old electronics instead of simply disposing of them are encouraged to participate in the city’s annual electronics recycling event, which takes place from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27, at the City of Dowagiac parking lot located at the northwest corner of Main Street and Pennsylvania Avenue downtown.
For questions regarding the Spring Cleanup program or about disposal alternatives, please contact the Department of Public Services office at 782-8200 or at DPS_Service_Request@dowagiac.org.