Firefighters stop Niles attic blaze

Leader photo/CRAIG HAUPERT An area firefighter steps onto the roof as smoke from the attic fire escapes through a hole in the structure.

Leader photo/CRAIG HAUPERT
An area firefighter steps onto the roof of a home at 424 N. 4th St. in Niles as smoke from the attic fire escapes through a hole in the structure.

Ashley Johnson said she could barely breathe when she woke up around 9 a.m. Thursday in her second floor apartment in the 400 block of N. 4th St. in Niles Thursday.

Smoke, barely visible at first, began to fill the room and before long she had difficult seeing.

“My eyes were watering, I didn’t know what was going on,” said the 2008 Niles High School graduate.

Johnson called the Niles Fire Department, which arrived quickly to find smoke escaping through an attic vent on the roof. Firefighters were dispatched around 9:30 a.m.

Johnson got out of the house, but her cat, Dutchess, remained inside, hiding.

Two black dogs from another apartment in four-unit property could be seen running in the snow in the front yard.

Firefighters secured the dogs and returned them to their owners later that day.

Johnson’s cat was also found safe.

Chief Larry Lamb, of the Niles Fire Department, said the cause of the fire is electrical and that it started in an attic area above the ceiling on the second floor.

He said there was minimal smoke and water damage to the home.

No one was injured.

The Niles Fire Department received assistance at the scene from Niles Township Fire, Howard Township Fire, Buchanan Fire, Bertrand Fire, Clay Fire, SMCAS and Niles Police Department.

News

Niles man, 13-year-old passenger killed in Sodus Township crash

Cass County

PHOTO STORY: Old Rugged Cross Church hosts church, museum dedication

Dowagiac

Dowagiac Elks hosting annual Guys and Dolls Golf Outing

News

New general surgeon seeing patients in Niles

Edwardsburg

Michigan Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall stops in Edwardsburg

Edwardsburg

PHOTO STORY: Edwardsburg Area Chamber of Commerce hosts fall festival

News

Niles man sentenced to probation for drunk driving

News

PHOTO STORY: Uptown Fright Fest a success

News

PHOTO STORY: Niles student crowned Miss Apple Festival 2021

News

Three injured in Howard Township crash

Dowagiac

Medical event causes car to crash into Dowagiac Burger King

Cass County

Cassopolis man sent to prison on drug charges

Dowagiac

SMC recognized for turning students into citizens

Dowagiac

ETS program awarded grant from Department of Education

Cass County

Dowagiac man who broke elementary school windows sentenced to probation

Dowagiac

Changes to retirement benefits cause for concern among Cass County employees

News

Niles first ward residents ask for an end to gun violence in their community

Buchanan

Buchanan Area Senior Center raising funds to convert porch into sunroom

Cass County

Man arrested on drug charges in Mason Township

Cass County

Cass County Commissioners approve grant for Dowagiac River restoration

Business

Lyons Industries donates 12 thermal imaging cameras to Indian Lake Volunteer Fire Department

Cass County

Niles man seriously injured in motorcycle crash

Dowagiac

Dowagiac Police Log: Sept. 13-14

Berrien County

Local emergency departments experiencing high volumes, wait times