Thrill on the Hill returns to Buchanan
BUCHANAN — Buchanan’s Thrill on the Hill festival will go on as planned this weekend, despite a forecast of warmer-than-average weather for the area.
Treasurer July O’Bryant said the event’s main attraction — a giant sledding hill on Front Street — would be open both days, Friday and Saturday.
The city’s department of public works, she said, has been stockpiling snow for use on the hill for quite some time.
The city also has a “slippery” material it can place on the hill to increase speed for tubers if conditions call for it, she said.
“While the festival is about the hill, there are so many other things happening that people can enjoy,” O’Bryant said. “It is a great way to showcase how special Buchanan is.”
Now in its fifth year, the event attracts thousands of visitors to downtown Buchanan where people can shop, slide down the hill, enjoy a sleigh ride, listen to live music or take part in a variety of other family-friendly activities.
O’Bryant said there is an area designed for small children, including an enclosed play area and smaller tubing hill.
O’Bryant said they’ve sold approximately 6,500 wrist bands to ride the hill over the past four years, including more than 2,150 a year ago.
Proceeds from the event go toward improving the city’s parks.
• Hill hours — 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday
• Midnight hill run — 11 p.m. Friday to 1 a.m. Saturday (adults only)
• Hill cost — Wristbands are good for unlimited runs. Cost is $3 for Friday, $5 for the midnight run and $3 for Saturday
• Thrill dance — 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Buchanan American Legion. Free admission
• Live music — DJs Ron Cornelius and Tom Kaade
• Contests — Ugly sweater, wacky hat, tug of war (all Saturday)
• Fire pit — Stay warm and relax by the fire
• Horse drawn carriage rides — 3 to 7 p.m. Saturday. Cost $5
• Breakfast — 8 to 11 a.m. at American Legion
• Smoke Vision Care — Smoke Vision will host a S’mores fundraiser and snowman making contest from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday
• Art Center craft — Make a valentine for the troops from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Buchanan Art Center