Honor Credit Union awards additional teachers
Published 9:13 am Monday, December 21, 2015
ST. JOSEPH — Honor Credit Union recently announced 16 additional winners of the 6th Annual Honor Awards.
The Honor Awards give local teachers and school faculty an opportunity to win $100 to use for their classroom or school.
Entrants submitted a short description of what they would use the $100 for, and 30 winners were selected in November by a panel of Honor Credit Union team members. After the winners were announced, Honor Credit Union made the decision to award 16 additional teachers, due to the overwhelming amount of exceptional submissions.
The teachers were unaware they were selected for this special award. Honor Credit Union purchased the items listed on each teacher’s submission, and personally delivered the items to the teacher and their class, as a surprise.
Among the items purchased were tricycles, yoga ball chairs, calculators, backpacks, snacks for the classroom, and miscellaneous school supplies. Honor Credit Union spent more than $1,600 on these additional items for the specially selected teachers.
Below is a list of the 16 teachers who benefited from the Honor Awards, after the $100 were given out to 30 other teachers:
• Benton Harbor Area Schools — Christine Washington
• Eau Claire Public Schools — Thomas Reed
• St. Charles Borromeo — Brenda Mescher
• Coloma Community Schools — Connie Rodriguez
• Dowagiac Union Schools — Brenda Wagner
• Gwinn Area Community Schools — Brad Pfluger
• Calhoun Intermediate School District — Danielle Hornfeld
• Marquette Area Public Schools — Jamie Davis
• NICE Community Schools — Vanessa Taavola
• Negaunee Public Schools — Mark Marana
• Niles Adventist School — Jennifer Coffen
• Paw Paw Public Schools — Heather VanderMolen
• Otsego Christian Academy — Cindy Roberts
• South Haven Public Schools — Barb Raak
• St. Joseph Public Schools — Kathleen Reck
• Lakeshore Public Schools — Tim Worrell