Attic fire strikes twice at Howard Twp. home
Published 9:32 am Tuesday, December 15, 2015
HOWARD TOWNSHIP — A stubborn fire at a Howard Township residence forced firefighters to rush to the scene twice in a matter of hours.
Chief Ed Leneway, of the Howard Township Fire Department, said crews responded to an attic fire at a home in the 2800 block of Cook Street at approximately 1:30 a.m. Monday.
An electrical wire, he said, caused a fire to start in the attic, which was full of blown-in insulation. Leneway said they put out the fire and removed the affected insulation before leaving the scene.
However, firefighters were called back to the residence at around 9 a.m. after the fire somehow reignited in a different part of the attic, despite the electricity being shut off.
“With that blown in insulation it could have been a hot ember left in there,” the chief theorized.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze then began to remove all of the blown-in insulation.
Leneway said damage was limited to the attic.
No one was injured.