Fire department responds to house fire

Published 9:50 am Thursday, December 3, 2015

A working smoke detector is credited with saving the life of a local woman after her home caught fire early Monday morning, according to a release from the Dowagiac Police Department.

According to authorities, the Dowagiac Fire Department was alerted to an ongoing house fire at the 200 block of Dewey Street in the city by Cass County 911 at 4:58 a.m. The first engine arrived on the scene at 5:04 a.m., where firefighters discovered a fire in the home’s living room.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to that section of the house, which was the origin point of the blaze. The flames were under control by 5:22 a.m.

The occupant of the home had already fled the home, having been awoken by smoke detectors installed inside the residence. After discovering the fire inside the house, she escaped the house, going to a neighboring home to get help.

The fire department credits the detectors for allowing the woman to escape unharmed.

While the department continues to investigate the incident, it is currently believed the fire was started by an electrical issue, caused by covered power cords.

The department was assisted on scene by officers of the Dowagiac Police Department and medical personnel of Pride Care Ambulance. This incident is the 171st call for the Dowagiac Fire Department this year.