Bridge deck begins to form
Published 8:26 am Monday, October 19, 2015
Workers began pouring concrete for the deck of the new Main Street Bridge in Niles Thursday.
Chris Jacobs, project engineer for the Michigan Department of Transportation, said the process of pouring the concrete should take about two weeks from start to finish.
Workers poured a few sections Thursday and are planning to pour more sections later this week, depending on conditions and how quickly progress is being made.
Work to demolish the former bridge and build a new one began in October of 2014. It is being spearheaded by MDOT and is expected to cost approximately $10.6 million.
Jacobs said earlier this month that the bridge should open for traffic by the end of November.
Workers would finish landscaping work the following spring.