City flushing starting today
Published 9:14 pm Monday, April 11, 2005
The City of Niles will be flushing hydrants during the day, starting today, April 11. Flushing will begin at 8:30 a.m. and continue until 4 p.m. each day through Friday, April 15.
The City of Niles hopes that this change from nighttime flushing will not be inconvenient for their customers. However, some customers may experience discoloration of water and to reduce any problems this can cause, the following advice is offered:
1. Do not wash laundry between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Before you start, run your water until the temperature of the water changes to cold. In doing so, you should be able to detect red water before you start your wash.
2. If you experience red water in your wash, do not dry the load of clothes; leave them wet.
A powder may be obtained at no charge from the Utilities Department office that will remove stains. Do not use bleach to remove iron stains as this will oxidize the stain and make it impossible to remove.
3. Although the City of Niles provides water to your residence, persistent red stains could be coming from your own house plumbing, especially if your pipes are galvanized.
4. You should flush your water heater at least two times a month. More frequently if you have experienced red water.
5. You should apply an approved iron removal chemical to your water softener's mineral bed.
6. Maintain aerators on faucets, and clean inlet screens on washing machines.
7. If you experience red water in your laundry at a time when the Utilities Department office is not open, you can obtain iron removal products at supermarkets and drug stores.
If you cannot find polyphosphates, oxalic acid can be purchased at drug stores.
Monday, April 11, valving will be conducted and flushing started at 19th to 13th streets, Industrial Park, Carberry Rd., Lake to Howard St., and North 5th to Pucker St.
Tuesday, April 12, flushing will continue at 19th to 13th streets, and Howard St. to Main St.
Wednesday, April 13, flushing will be conducted from 13th to 5th streets and Wayne to Fort Streets.
Thursday, April 14, flushing will be conducted from 5th to Front streets, Wayne St. to downtown, and Marmont St. to downtown.
If time permits, they will also begin on the west side of Niles.
Friday, April 15, flushing will be completed on the west side of Niles.
To verify their exact location, you can call (269) 683-4700 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. and ask for the Service Desk.