Girlfriend arrested in Galien stabbing

Published 10:40 pm Monday, December 1, 2003

By Staff
ST. JOSEPH -- Berrien County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to Lakeland Hospital in Niles at 11 p.m. Sunday on a report of a possible stabbing which occurred at 211-B Greenlawn, Galien.
Officers located a 25-year-old Galien man who had been stabbed in the chest, left arm and face.
The man originally claimed he had been attacked by two unknown males who stabbed him.
After further investigation, it was discovered he had an argument with his live-in girlfriend of two years and that she had, in fact, cut the victim with a steak knife.
Deputies said the victim's injuries were not life-threatening.
He was admitted to Lakeland Hospital in Niles overnight for observation.
Deputy Robert Mazurek and Lt. Paul Toliver said no further information would be released until after the 22-year-old suspect is arraigned on the charge, assault with a dangerous weapon.
In other police reports:
A woman, formerly of 106 Wayne Street, Apt. L, returned to her apartment Saturday morning and found it to have been ransacked. She noted that her Gateway computer, printer, monitor and CD burner (valued at $1,500) and Compaq computer, printer and monitor (valued at $700) had been apparently stolen, along with a vacuum cleaner.
The woman allegedly told police that she is in the process of moving to a new home in South Bend, Ind., and her apartment had been locked when she left her Niles residence last Wednesday. She said that her Gateway computer and accessories had been boxed but the Compaq had not. She also claimed that the only other people with keys to her apartment are her brother and the apartment complex's maintenence man.
The maintenece man maintained that he had checked the apartment Friday morning and found it be secure and intact.
Police questioned two witnesses in a neighboring apartment. One witness stated that she had seen the victim's brother loitering about the hallway and her apartment Friday evening and noted that he appeared to have been in a hurry.
The other witness, upon further questioning, was determined to have received a vacuum cleaner from the victim's brother, under the assumption it was for "safekeeping."
The vacuum was recovered and returned to the victim. The victim's brother is still at large.
The case is considered closed.