Fall sports season starts WednesdayPublished 9:23am Tuesday, August 19, 2014
The 2014-15 high school sports season officially kicks off Wednesday with a trio of events.
Dowagiac, Brandywine and Niles will be the first schools to have their tennis and soccer teams compete.
Dowagiac will travel to Hamilton to compete in an invitational beginning at 8 a.m.
Niles and Brandywine will both send their tennis teams to Paw Paw for an invitational, which is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m.
On Thursday, the Edwardsburg tennis team will open up its season on the road at Elkhart Memorial. The non-league match will begin at 4:30 p.m.
Niles volleyball and girls golf will open their seasons on Friday with tournament play. The Vikings’ volleyball team will head to Richland for the Gull Lake Invitational beginning at 8:30 a.m., while the golf team will compete in the Sturgis Lady Trojan Invitational beginning at 9 a.m.
The Niles tennis team will compete in its second tournament in three days as it heads to Vicksburg for an invitational beginning at 9 a.m.
Niles’ cross country team will host its annual Viking Stampede at the Dowagiac Middle School course.
Among the events Saturday will be the annual VanDenBerg Invitational hosting by both Niles and Brandywine soccer.
Cassopolis will face the Vikings at Niles at 10 a.m., while the Bobcats will host Buchanan at their soccer field, also at 10 a.m.
The consolation match will be played at Niles and the championship match at Brandywine. Both matches will begin at noon.
Also on tap Saturday are:
• Niles and Brandywine tennis at South Bend St. Joe Invitational, 8:30 a.m.
• Edwardsburg volleyball at Hackett Early Bird Invitational, 8:30 a.m.
• Edwardsburg soccer hosts Eddies Invitational, 9 a.m.
• Brandywine cross country at South Bend Stampede, 9 a.m.
• Brandywine and Dowagiac volleyball at Cassopolis Invitational at Krush Courts in Niles, 9 a.m.
• Edwardsburg cross country at Gobles Trail Relay, 9 a.m.