Submitted Bowl for the Cure will take place Saturday at Joey Armadillo's.
Submitted
Bowl for the Cure will take place Saturday at Joey Armadillo's.

Archived Story

Bowl for the Cure rolls out this weekend

Published 9:21am Thursday, February 13, 2014

Niles area residents will have the opportunity to “strike out breast cancer” this Saturday during the Niles Four Flags United States Bowling Congress’s eighth annual Bowl for the Cure.

The event, which includes bowling, prizes, raffles and auctions, will be held at Joey Armadillo’s bowling center on South 11th Street in Niles Township.

All money raised will be donated to the Southwestern Michigan Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure for prevention and research in southwest Michigan.

In 2013, the event raised $13,004. Event chairperson Chris Marlin said that 75 percent of the money stays local to fund things like mammograms, while the remaining 25 percent goes toward research.

Bowling will take place during two shifts. The first is at 11 a.m. and the second is a 3 p.m.

Marlin said the 3 p.m. shift is full, but there are still open spots for the 11 a.m. shift. Cost is $30 to bowl.

“Registration for the event is down right now, but donations have been doing

really well,” Marlin said. “Our goal is $10,000, and I think that is a realistic goal.”

So far, the event has raised $6,000. Marlin said 230 people have registered, with 170 opting for the afternoon shift.

“We want to give a big thank you to Joey Armadillo’s for hosting the event,” Marlin said.

Live auctions and silent auctions will be held during each shift along with raffles and miscellaneous prizes. Attendees can dance in the aisles with DJ music provided by Erika Pickles.

The association will gladly accept walk-in and in-kind donations throughout the day.

By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Editor's Picks