Probation ordered for Buchanan driver with four times legal alcohol limitPublished 11:40am Friday, August 9, 2013
CASSOPOLIS — A Buchanan man had a blood alcohol level of four times the legal limit when he was pulled over in Milton Township in June of 2012.
Mikel Lynn Jackson, 45, blew a .34 after an officer stopped him for speeding in the early morning hours of June 6 at US-12 and Bell Road in Cass County. The officer also found an open bottle of vodka on the floor of the vehicle.
“I’m impressed he wasn’t unconscious at the time of his arrest,” said Jackson’s attorney, James Miller, during sentencing hearings Friday in Cass County Circuit Court.
Judge Michael Dodge sentenced Jackson to two years probation and 65 days in the Cass County Jail with credit for 65 days already served. He also ordered that Jackson be placed on alcohol tether for 90 days and revoked his driver’s license. Jackson is not allowed to drink while on probation.
It is Jackson’s second conviction for operating while intoxicated. He was convicted of the same offense in 2003.
• Tommy Lee Suggs, 18, of Cassopolis, was sentenced to two years probation and 65 days in jail for felony breaking and entering of a building with intent to commit larceny. Suggs, who received credit for 65 days served, broke into Stroup’s Gold and Discount Shop in Cassopolis March 13, in order to steal and iPod. Dodge ordered Suggs to complete high school and pay $200 restitution as conditions of probation.
• Michael Leroy Hemenway, 45, of Decatur, was sentenced to 51 months in prison for several drug offenses, including felony operating and maintaining a meth lab. He has credit for 242 days served.
• Darren Miles Cantrell, 31, of Coloma, was sentenced to 300 days in jail on two counts of resisting arrest.
• Sara Nicole Sellers, 24, of Osceola, Ind., was sentenced to two years probation for felony possession of cocaine and heroin. She was ordered to successfully complete Adult Treatment Drug Court. The conviction will be voided if Sellers completes probation under Michigan’s 7411 law.
• Ervin Al Starrett, Jr., 47, of Niles, was sentenced to 18 months probation and 71 days in jail for felony possession of heroin. He has credit for 71 days served.
• Michael Jason Starrett, 37, of Niles, was sentenced to 54 days in jail for failing to comply with reporting duties as a registered sex offender. Starrett did not report a change of address in the allotted time. He has credit for 54 days served.
• Jess E. Sauer, 26, of Osceola, Ind., was sentenced to two years probation and 99 days in jail on several drug charges, including felony possession of heroin and cocaine. He has credit for 99 days served.