Niles library prepares for ‘last blast of summer’Published 3:32pm Sunday, August 12, 2012
Get ready for Last Blast of Summer at the Niles District Library! Before school begins, we will be hosting tons of fun, free activities daily. Whoever attends a program will be given raffle tickets for special Last Blast prizes.
Our activities include:
• Harry Potter movie marathons for teens. The marathons will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 27 and 28 and from 10 to 3 p.m. Aug. 29. All of the movies will be shown in the community room. Feel free to bring a sack lunch or a few snacks as we do a craft and watch movies one through three, four through six and both parts of “The Deathly Hallows.”
• From 10:30 a.m. to noon Aug. 27, kids can join us for sidewalk paint and bubbles just outside of the library.
• Ladies of all ages can join us for Girls Night Out at 6 p.m. Aug. 28 for hair and makeup tips and learning how to make your own lip gloss, sugar scrub and a Celtic heart necklace. Registration is required for this event.
• A special “Back to School” story time will occur at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Aug. 29 in the story room.
• On Aug. 30, we will be having Game Day, all day. The day will include a Sorry tournament starting at 2 p.m. Registration is required for the tournament. Also on the 29th, we will offer a teen movie at 5 p.m. in the community room.
• On Aug. 31, we will be having a family movie day in the community room at 10:30 a.m. and Ronald McDonald will be visiting us at 3 p.m. in the Rotunda.
• Our Superhero Party, for children ages 2 to 6, is on Sept. 1, in the story room. Registration is required.
• For more information, or to register to any of the above events, please call us at 683-8545 ext. 106, or stop by the Youth Services Desk.
Upcoming adult services activities:
• Town Square Game Day will take place from noon to 4 p.m. each Monday in the Popular Materials section until Sept. 3.
• On Monday, Aug. 13, the Video Book Club will meet to watch the second part of “Horatio Hornblower,” based on the novel by C. S. Forester.
On Aug. 20, we will be showing the film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ best-selling novel, “The Hunger Games.”
• Fiction for Foodies will meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday in the community room. This month’s read is Donna Ball’s “A Year on Ladybug Farm.”
• On Wednesday, the second part of “Kindlegarten for Nook” will take place. This class is taught from 5 to 7 p.m. Registration is required for this class.
The Reader’s Circle will also meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. This month’s book is “The Homecoming of Samuel Lake” by Jenny Wingfield.
• “Audible Art: Music in the Gallery,” with special guests Kindred Harts, will occur from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday. Kindred Harts performs gospel and folk music.
• “Facebook for Seniors” with Caryn Adler will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday.
Tags: Niles District Library