Volunteer to bake cookiesPublished 10:28pm Monday, July 23, 2012
Spotlight of the week
Volunteer as a cookie baker at Lakeland Hospital in St. Joseph. You will assist with aromatherapy by baking cookies in clinical units. You should be at least 14 years old and be able to follow directions and enjoy baking. Varied shifts available.
• Tri-County Headstart serves preschoolers in Berrien, Cass and Van Buren counties. Choose from a variety of activities, including working with children with reading, writing, science and math; gross and fine motor skills; outdoor activities; family- style meals; health and wellness; and dramatic play. Or you can help while at home by cutting out items and preparing materials for the teachers.
• Drive a cancer patient to treatment. American Cancer Society volunteer drivers transport patients to and from scheduled treatment appointments.
•The duties of a retail ambassador at the Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven include answering the phone, selling and managing tickets for the tall ship Friends of Good Will and the river launch Lindy Lou, answering questions about the museum and the South Haven area, selling gift shop items and handling admissions.
•The Lunch Bunch volunteers provide a fellowship opportunity for individuals from all walks of life.
Whether planning a menu, preparing a meal or pouring drinks, you can be sure that someone will be uplifted and encouraged by your service. Lunch is served every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the Niles Salvation Army.
• As the receptionist for the American Red Cross office in St. Joseph, greet customers, answer the phone, help with filing and general office work.
American Red Cross of West Michigan
• Noon to 6 p.m. Aug. 3 – St. Paul Lutheran Church, 2673 West John Beers Rd., Stevensville
• 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 8 – Decatur High School, 110 Cedar, Decatur
For a complete listing and to schedule an appointment, visit www.redcross.org.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Aug. 9 — St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 1340 Sycamore St., Niles
• 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 10 —South Haven Health Fair, Bus, Huron Street Pavilion, South Haven
For a complete listing visit www.miblood.org
• On Aug. 14, 17 abd 18 join United Way in organizing supplies, packing backpacks and distributing backpacks to families in need from Cass County. Individuals, groups and families with children older than 8 are welcome to help one day or all three days.
• Big Bear Auction Company is hosting a summer festival on Aug. 25 in Eau Claire and will be giving a portion of the proceeds going to support the Berrien County Council for Children. Volunteers will help with parking, judging contests (pie eating, bakeoff, chili cook-off), organizing and handing out paperwork for the car and motorcycle show.
Adults and youth
•As a volunteer floor team memberat Curious Kids’ Museum in St. Joseph, assist museum visitors with crafts, exhibits and learning. Shifts are typically two hours. Volunteers should be at least 15 years old.
•Do you have a team of people who would like to volunteer together or sponsor a project on Oct. 27 for Make a Difference Day – the largest national day of service? Projects are being planned or we’ll add your project to the list. Contact Sharon at Volunteer Southwest Michigan for more information.
• Volunteer Southwest Michigan is offering Youth Summer Serve 2012. Volunteer for 40 hours over the summer and be officially recognized. It looks great on job and college applications. If you are already volunteering, then let us know where and how many hours by becoming a member at www.volunteerswmi.org and reporting your hours.
If you need assistance, contact Callie at firstname.lastname@example.org.