Alligator Blackbird performs ThursdayPublished 10:08pm Wednesday, June 13, 2012
By DREW MENTOCK
Special to the Star
Alligator Blackbird will be playing a free show Thursday for “Parrott Head Night” at the Niles Riverfront Park Amphitheater, sponsored by Parrott Heads in Michiana and Express Cupcakes.
The show, from 7 to 9 p.m., is part of Niles’ Thursday Night Live concert series, which will bring rock ‘n’ roll and blues to the Niles Riverfront Park Amphitheater every Thursday night of the summer.
Alligator Blackbird is a band local to the Michiana area and combines genres such as rock, reggae, folk and pop that the bands says, “creates a sound that will warm up any room.”
Parrott Heads is a volunteer organization that has been in existence for more than seven years and helped raise more than $130,000 for local charities such as Toys for Tots, breast cancer research and the Humane Society. This is the club’s third year sponsoring a Parrott Head Night in Niles.
“It’s always a lot of fun to the see the people come out and have a good time,” said Carey Bert, president of Parrott Heads in Michiana. “We are involved in a lot of different fundraisers for organizations, but, sometimes, we like to sponsor a fun event for community.”
Parrot Heads is looking for new members; check out www.parrotheadsinmichiana.org.
Express Cupcakes will be at the show selling its cupcakes. It specializes in making organic cupcakes.
“We’re excited to be back at the Riverfront Amphitheatre on Thursday for the Niles Summer Concert Series,” said Cory Miller, percussionist for Alligator Blackbird and guitar and ukulele player.
“We have a lot of special memories attached to the park so it means a lot for us to be able to spend the evening there playing our tails off for the Niles community. Right now, the forecast looks just about perfect so we’re hoping everyone will come out, bring a lawn chair or beach blanket and help us kick off the summer.”
The 17th annual City of Niles Parks Department Concert Series continues every Wednesday and Thursday until Aug. 29. All concerts are free and start at 7 p.m. in the Riverfront Park amphitheater on Main Street.
• June 20 — The Balos Family (bluegrass)
• June 27 — Just for Fun Singers (the area’s best singers doing great songs of the past)
• July 4 — Al Mott (one-man variety band)
• July 11 — Unraveling String Band (acoustic folk rock)
• July 18 — Jetta and The Jelly Beans (family show sponsored by Niles-Buchanan YMCA)
• July 25 — The Snyders (Southside Denny’s family band)
• Aug. 1 — MJ Bishop (singer/songwriter)
• Aug. 8 — Lake Effect (jazz)
• Aug. 15 — Tim Dudley (Elvis impersonator)
• Aug. 22 — Van Dyke Revue (rock)
• Aug. 29 — The Freight Hoppers (national touring bluegrass band)
• Tonight — Aligator Blackbird
• June 21 — Top Secret
• June 28 — Lipbone Redding, with Don Savoie & Blue Eyed Soul (6 p.m.
• July 5 — High Life
• July 22 — Mr. Blotto
• July 19 — Fillmore’s Ladder
• July 26 — Slim Gypsy Baggage
• Aug. 2 — Riverfest, The Whistle Pigs
• Aug. 9 — The Whistle Pigs
• Aug. 16 — Mr. Jones & The Groove-tones
• Aug. 23 — Elaphant Rescue
• Aug. 30 — Sixth Generation
• Sept. 6 — Night Shift
The schedule is subject to change without notice.