Help out families with diaper donationPublished 6:56pm Friday, November 4, 2011
The Great Start Collaborative and Parent Coalition of Berrien County is currently hosting a countywide diaper drive through Nov. 30 in order to collect 15,000 diapers for infants and toddlers in Berrien County.
Many families in Berrien County continue to struggle in this economy and those struggles are having an impact on our youngest citizens.
The Great Start Collaborative and Parent Coalition of Berrien County are in need of help to make sure infants and toddlers in this county are not going without one of their most basic necessities.
Diapers of any size can be donated at any of the following locations:
• Walgreens (All Berrien locations)
• Edgewater Bank (All Berrien locations)
• Benton Harbor Library
• Benton Harbor/St. Joseph YMCA Building Blocks Preschool
• Berrien RESA (Administrative Center, Blossomland Learning Center, Lighthouse
• Berrien Unitarian Universalist Church (St. Joseph)
• Bridgman Elementary School
• Bridgman Middle School
• Church of the Mediator (Harbert)
• Coloma Elementary School
• Countryside Academy
• Eau Claire Library
• E.P. Clarke Elementary (St. Joseph)
• First Assembly of God (St. Joseph)
• Galien Library
• Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library (St. Joseph)
• Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church (Benton Harbor)
• St. Paul’s United Church of Christ (Watervliet)
• St. Peter’s United Church of Christ (St. Joseph)
• University Medical Center (Berrien Springs)
Monetary donations are being accepted as well.
Diapers will be distributed to local homeless shelters and home visiting programs to disperse to families in need.
The Great Start System is a statewide initiative that focuses on early childhood development. There are two pieces to Great Start — the Collaborative and the Parent
Coalition. The Great Start Collaborative brings together social service agencies and providers throughout each county to develop a collaborative plan to address the needs of young children. The Great Start Parent Coalition mobilizes parent volunteers and focuses on advocating for funding and support of early childhood programs, and helps promote those programs in the community.
For more information about the Great Start Collaborative or the Parent Coalition, visit www.greatstartberrien.org.