Niles’ Cramer wins division medalistPublished 9:21am Tuesday, October 6, 2009
BENTON HARBOR – The Niles varsity golf team didn’t win the final Big 16 Conference West Division Jamboree at Berrien Hills on Monday, but they are still the champs.
St. Joseph edged Niles 217-220 in the final jamboree of the season.
The Lady Vikings locked up the division title last week, but Monday was still important when it came to earning individual division honors.
Niles’ Lena Cramer shot 51 at Berrien Hills and locked up the division medalist honors.
Alison Landgraf, who shot 56, finished fourth in the division, while Jordan Brown was sixth. Brown shot 59 on Monday.
Sarah Crabtree finished with a 54 at the jamboree for the Lady Vikings.
Niles will now take part in the Division 2 district on Thursday at the Links of Bowen in Greenville.
Big 16 tennis
St. Joseph won six out of the seven flights at the Big 16 Conference Gold Division Tennis Tournament on Monday in Portage.
The tournament was originally scheduled for Saturday, but weather forced a postponement until Monday.
The Bears finished with 61 points to edge Battle Creek Lakeview by four points. Portage Central was third, Kalamazoo Loy Norrix fourth and Marshall fifth.
Niles competed in the Silver Division. Results from that tournament were unavailable at press time.
Big 16 Conference Gold Division
St. Joseph 61, Battle Creek Lakeview 57, Portage Central 47, Kalamazoo Loy Norrix 39, Marshall 27, Portage Northern 23, Mattawan 23, Lakeshore 19
1. Vishal Arora (SJ) d. Ryan Richmond (PC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2; 2. Alex Harbert (SJ) d. Tyler Richmond (PC) 6-2, 6-1; 3. Nick Artaev (SJ) d. Kevin Noble (BCL) 6-0, 6-4; 4. Michael Kincaid (SJ) d. Hans Lee (BCL) 6-1, 6-4
1. Lance Kowes/Naveed Iqball(BCL) d. Jeff Chen/Jake Stants (SJ) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1; 2. Michael Swisher/Jordan Shawyer (BCL) d. Austin Grall/Connor Flood (SJ) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4; 3. Sam Kelly/Alex Beam (SJ) d.Tyler Vondell/Will Pearl (BCL); 4. Patrick Hart/David Taylor (BCL) d. Kevin Ledbetter/David Wegscheid (SJ) 6-2, 6-1
Wolverine Conference Tennis Tournament
OTSEGO – For the first time since 2000, Allegan is not the Wolverine Conference tennis champion.
The Tigers were unseated by Gull Lake Monday afternoon as the tournament was held after being postponed on Saturday due to rain.
The Blue Devils captured six of the eight championship flight to amass 68 points to defeat the Tigers by seven points.
Otsego finished third, Vicksburg fourth and Plainwell fifth. Dowagiac finished ninth with 10 points.
Allegan’s lone championship came at No. 2 singles where Sascha Heenemann defeated Paw Paw’s Jordan Nelson in straight sets.
Dowagiac’s Chris Craft lost his opening round match against Joey Osbon in straight sets at No. 1 singles, as did Joey Gajewski at No. 2 singles. At No. 3 singles, Amarpal Sarao lost in three sets to Dyan Hough of Three Rivers.
Dowagiac defaulted at No. 4 singles.
At No. 1 doubles, Mike McClanahan and Aaron Blaske were 0-2 on the day, while at No. 2 doubles, Jon Robinson and Dylan Chorba defeated Sam Linstrom and David Wondergem of South Haven before falling in its next two matches.
Spencer Dodd and Marc Tyrakowski and Ben Thompson and Josh Brosnan bother were defeated in their opening round matches.
Gull Lake and Allegan dominated the final round, as only four other schools managed to have a player or a doubles team advance to the championship match.
Wolverine Conference Tennis Tournament
Gull Lake 68, Allegan 61, Otsego 51, Vicksburg 43, Plainwell 42, Paw Paw 39, Three Rivers 29, South Haven 16, Dowagiac 10
1. Greg Andrews (GL) d. Seth Arthur (A) 6-0, 6-0; 2. Sascha Heenemann (A) d. Jordan Nelson (PP) 6-0, 6-0 3. Joe Walbridge (GL) d. Jay Pound (V) 6-4, 6-3; 4. Max Wittenburg (GL) d. Jesse DeBoer (A) 7-5, 6-4
1. Nate Tibbitts/Luke Jeffries (A) d. Jake Hoisington/Cody Jaspers (PL) 6-1, 6-2; 2. Lucas Hickman/Mitchell Hickman (GL) d. Matt Madden/Taylor Robinson (A) 7-5, 6-2 3. Ryan Knapper/David Sutherland (GL) d. Tim Ruesink/Zach Radcliffe (O) 6-2, 7-5 4. Russell Hall/Joe Kuesch (GL) d. Calvin Woodard/Mason English (A) 6-4, 6-2
Wolverine Conference Tennis Final Standings
1. Gull Lake; 2. Allegan; 3. Otsego; 4. Plainwell; 5. Vicksburg; 6. Paw Paw; 7. Three Rivers; 8. South Haven; 9. Dowagiac