No one injured in fire caused by child
DOWAGIAC — No one was injured after a child started a structure fire Monday evening, according to the Dowagiac Fire Department.
Around 4:18 p.m., the Dowagiac Fire Department and the Wayne Township Fire Department were dispatched to a reported structure fire in the 300 block of E. Division Street in Dowagiac.
Upon arriving at the scene, Dowagiac officers reported smoke visible from the upper floor of the house, and all occupants were had vacated the structure.
Firefighters entered the structure, and the fire was declared extinguished 11 minutes after arrival. The incident left fire and smoke damage to the upper floor bedroom area of the structure.
Investigation revealed that a small child had been upstairs playing with a lighter, and a pile of clothing caught on fire. The child ran downstairs, and the owner of the residence heard a smoke alarm, smelled smoke and got everyone out of the house, according to the fire department. The house was not insured.
No injuries to firefighters or occupants were reported.
Assisting at the scene was Pride Care ambulance and the city of Dowagiac utilities crew. The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.
“The Dowagiac Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind those adults who have smoking materials, matches and lighters around the residence to keep them out of the reach of children and discuss fire safety with them,” said Deputy Chief Robert Smith.
SOUTHWEST MICHIGAN — Michiganders looking for a plated meal and hospitality will finally have the opportunity to dine in-house again.... read more