Yankee Street residence fire contained to garage

NILES – Around 2 p.m. on Thursday, area fire departments responded to a call reporting a structure fire at 2397 Yankee St. in Howard Township.

Howard Township Fire Department’s Fire Chief Chris Corzine reported no injuries from the fire. From the street, the ranch-style home could be seen billowing smoke as crews continued to put out the smolder left by the fire. The garage connected to the home had its roof burned through and had collapsed inward.

“The fire has been stopped at the breezeway,” Corzine said, though the garage and the two vehicles inside were fully engulfed.

He did not report a cause of the fire.

Michigan State Police blocked Yankee Street to traffic as fire trucks from area departments parked to help Howard Township Fire Department officials stop the fire.

Fire departments in attendance included City of Niles Fire Department, Niles Township Fire Department, Pokagon Volunteer Fire Department, Edwardsburg Fire Department and Bertrand Township Fire Department.