EDITORIAL: Thank you to our public safety officers
Published 9:33 am Friday, July 12, 2019
Monday evening, the Dowagiac Department of Public Safety presented several emergency personnel with lifesaving awards for taking actions in 2017 and 2018 that saved the lives of Dowagiac residents.
Those awarded include:
• Officer Kasey Robbins, of the Dowagiac Police Department
• Richard Newcomer, of the Pokagon Tribal Police Department
• Sgt. Dave Davis, of the Dowagiac Police Department
• Deputy Chief Robert Smith, of the Dowagiac Fire Department
• Lt. Robert Nelson, of the Dowagiac Fire Department
• Lt. Doug Michels, of the Dowagiac Fire Department
• Dispatcher Kelly Jerue, of Cass County Central Dispatch
• Ryan Maggert, of the Dowagiac Police Department
• James Ivy, of the Pokagon Tribal Police Department
• Brian Costa, of the Pokagon Tribal Police Department
Without the work of these officers, two Dowagiac residents would not be alive today. We want to extend our thanks to these emergency personnel for thinking quickly and working together to save lives. Your awards are well earned.
We would also like to take this chance to thank all of our local public safety officers — our police officers, 911 dispatchers, firefighters, sheriff’s deputies, EMTs and ambulance drivers. Each and every one of our public safety officials is vital to keeping our community safe, and we appreciate all they do. Without them, their work, and the sacrifices they make, our communities would not be able to function properly.
During the award ceremony Monday, Director of Public Safety Steve Grinnewald said that each officer would tell you that they did not do anything special — that they were just doing their jobs. However, Grinnewald said that what those officers did is exceptional — and that saving lives is the most important thing they will ever do.
We agree and are proud to live and work in a community whose public safety officers recognize that saving lives is the most critical aspect of their work.
So, to the officers awarded Monday night, we congratulate and thank you.
Opinions expressed are those of general manager Ambrosia Neldon, managing editor Sarah Culton and sports editor Scott Novak.