Upcoming events at Fernwood Botanical Garden
This summer, Fernwood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve will host a variety of events from arts and crafts to learning about nature. Find out what’s coming up next below.
Unsanctioned, Saturday, May 26
• 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. — The community is welcome to stop by the Fernwood tent outside of SL Consignment Gallery in downtown Buchanan to learn how to make Kokedamas and seed bombs.
Curious Coyotes: Raptors,, Sunday, May 27
• 2 to 4 p.m. Eagles, hawks, owls, and falcons — they some are the most powerful birds in nature, with superb vision to spot prey and sharp talons to catch a meal. Children ages 6–10 learn more about raptors and their amazing adaptations. Those interested should dress for walking the trails. $10 (Members $8)
Spring Yoga, Wednesday, May 30
• 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. Build strength and cardiovascular capacity by linking hatha yoga postures with flowing vinyasas. Variations offered for all levels. $12 (Members $10)
Volunteer Educators Spring Training, Wednesday, May 30
• 2 to 4 p.m. — This could be ideal for those who love nature and working with children. The community is invited to sign up to join the Volunteer Educators Corps and help teach our Environmental Studies Program to local students. Day Camp Preview and Tallgrass Prairie: Hear about all the exciting things planned for summer nature camps, then head to the prairie to enjoy indigos, golden Alexanders, lupine, shooting star, and more in bloom.
Framed Pinecone Flowers,
Saturday, June 2
• 10 a.m. to noon — In this class, people can create their very own piece of wall art using a recycled frame, pinecones, and paint. Officials said it is an ideal project for the whole family. Those interested should bring an 8-inch by 10-inch picture frame from home. All other materials provided. $20 (Members $16)
Fernwood Photography Club | Sunday, June 3
• 2 to 4 p.m. — Open to all ages and levels of experience. Meetings last about 90 minutes, starting with a sharing and discussion of recent images shot by club members, followed by a monthly topical program. For more information, contact Bob Denny at email@example.com. Free with paid Fernwood admission.
Niles Handweavers Guild, Wednesday, June 6
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Hoof to Hanger Wool Mill Field Trip. Contact Elizabeth Pilley at (269) 697-4003 for more details.
Summer Yoga, Wednesday, June 6
• 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Those interested can bring their yoga practice into the outdoors—blooming with colors, sounds, and smells. All levels welcome in this class that will incorporate both yang (energetic movement) and yin (restorative) poses with the aim to restore the vital self. $12 (Members $10)
Fernwood is a place where nature blends with gardens and art to create an experience for all ages. Fernwood comprises 105 acres on the St. Joseph River near Buchanan, at 13988 Range Line Road, Niles. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 6 p.m. Sunday. Café hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and noon to 3 p.m. Sunday. Call (269) 695-6491 or visit fernwoodbotanical.org for more information and to confirm status of classes.