United Way board looking to create impact in local community
The work of the United Way of Southwest Michigan staff and volunteers are being recognized beyond just the local level.
Andy Janson, president from Hanson Logistics, is entering his second year as UWSM’s Board Chair. In addition, to the work he’s doing in southwest Michigan, Janson is part of
United Way Worldwide’s Board and CEO Advisory Group that counsels and serves as ambassadors for local Board and CEO development and engagement in pursuit of higher-performance.
United Way is a network made up of more than 1,800 local chapters in 40 different countries and territories across the world. Janson is serving as a champion for the United Way work at a local, national and international level, providing his vision and guidance in building a stronger network where all chapters have the ability to thrive.
“United Way Worldwide wants to help build the network, so they’ve created this Advisory Group, and UWSM is one of a handful of United Way’s in the United States that was asked to be a part of that,” said Anna Murphy, president of United Way of Southwest Michigan. “Andy is a great representative of the work we do locally, and his experience and expertise will certainly make a big impact at this higher level, and I’m excited to partner with Andy and UWW on such amazing work.”
New to the UWSM board in 2018 are: Hilda Banyon (retired from Chemical Bank), Zack East (Mid-West Family Broadcasting), Chris Hardy (Plante Moran), Randy Hendrixson (DPM Events & Berrien County Record), Brent Holcomb (Lewis Cass ISD), James Petro (American Electric Power), Emily Szymkiewicz (United Federal Credit Union), and Casey Tubman (Whirlpool Corporation).
“It is work outside of work, but it doesn’t feel like it. Especially with what this board is trying to do for the community,” Janson said. “There are very few organizations that exist that impact as many people as United Way does, in southwest Michigan last year alone, it was over 56,000 individuals. It’s a no-brainer for me to be involved.”
The entire list of the 2018 UWSM board members are as follows:
• Andy Janson, board chair, Hanson Logistics
• Ann Cardon, vice chair, St. Joseph Public Schools
• Chris Hardy, treasurer, Plante Moran
• Dave Doetsch, secretary, Mid-West Family Broadcasting
• Casey Tubman, Whirlpool Corporation
• Zack East, Mid-West Family Broadcasting
• Megan Yore, Lakeland Health
• Jay Fettig, North Pier Brewing Company
• Jim Keppler, Whirlpool Corporation
• Ontaygo Johnson, Kinexus
• Hilda Banyon, retired, Chemical Bank
• Randy Hendrixson, DPM Events & Berrien County Record
• Brent Holcomb, Lewis Cass ISD
• Nermina Kamencic, Gast Manufacturing Inc.
• Thomas Atkinson, Southwestern Michigan College and Lewis Cass ISD
• James Petro, American Electric Power
• Emily Szymkiewicz, United Federal Credit Union
• Kimberly Vincent, 1st Source Bank
In addition, UWSM has released their Annual Report for 2017. The report shares UWSM’s goals and results in the areas of education, income, health and basic needs. It also highlights total volunteer hours, dollars leveraged through state and federal grants, and total individuals served. From 2017, it was estimated that between the dollars raised, volunteers mobilized and dollars leveraged, United Way services equaled an estimated $7,526,319. The entire report can be accessed through UWSM’s website at uwsm.org/yourimpact.