Dowagiac shooting suspect charged with nine crimes and misdemeanors
CASSOPOLIS — A Dowagiac woman who is suspected of shooting her boyfriend during an argument Wednesday has been charged with nine crimes and misdemeanors by the Cass County Prosecutor’s Office.
The suspect, 31-year-old Lynnette Routheaux of Pokagon Street in Dowagiac, was arraigned Friday afternoon in Cass County 4th District Court.
At the arraignment, Routheaux’s bail was set at $30,000, with the judge citing a public safety concern. If Routheaux is to make bail, she is not to have contact with the victim, nor is she to consume alcohol or drugs.
During arraignment, Routheaux was read a list of charges filed against her.
Her charges include:
- One count of assault by strangulation or suffocation, a felony carrying with it a potential charge of up to 10 years incarceration or a $5,000 fine.
- One count of assault with a dangerous weapon, a felony carrying with it a potential sentence of up to four years of incarceration or a $2,000 fine.
- One count of intentionally discharging a firearm in a facility or dwelling in reckless disregard of others, a felony carrying with it a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison or a $10,000 fine.
- Three counts of possession of a firearm when committing a felony, misdemeanors carrying with them the potential sentence of two years consecutive incarceration for each offense.
- One count of negligent, reckless, careless and willful cause of a firearm under her control to be discharged so as to injure a person, a misdemeanor carrying with it a potential sentence of two years of incarceration or a $2,000 fine.
- One count of negligent, reckless, careless, but not willful, cause of a firearm under her control to be discharged so as to injure a person at a cost of more than $50, a misdemeanor carrying with it a potential sentence of one year of incarceration or a $500 fine.
- One count of for negligent, reckless, careless or willful cause, carrying of a firearm without caution for the safety of persons or property, a misdemeanor carrying with it a potential sentence of 90 days of incarceration or a $500 fine.
The charges stem from an incident occurring around 10:43 a.m. Wednesday, after Dowagiac Police officers were advised that a Routheaux had called 911, saying she shot her boyfriend during a domestic incident at their residence. When officers arrived at the couple’s home on Pokagon Street in Dowagiac, they found Routheaux with the victim, a 49-year-old male from Dowagiac, who had been shot twice in the legs.
The man told police that he and Routheaux had gotten into an argument and during the argument she retrieved a handgun and shot him twice.
The victim was transported to South Bend Memorial Hospital and is currently being treated for nonlife-threatening injuries.
At the scene, officers located several shell casings as well as the handgun used in the incident. Routheaux was interviewed by police and told police that she shot her boyfriend in the leg during the domestic argument. There was no one else at the residence at the time of this incident.
Routheaux’s next court appearance will be on April 4.
EDWARDSBURG — The Edwardsburg School Board has scheduled a first-round interview for its next superintendent. Current Assistant Superintendent James Knoll... read more