Niles to flush hydrants May 9-13
Published 9:19 am Wednesday, April 27, 2016
The City of Niles will be flushing hydrants from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day from Monday, May 9 through Friday, May 13.
City leaders say while they hope hydrant flushing will not be an inconvenience to customers, some residents may experience the discoloration of water.
To reduce the likelihood of problems occurring, the city is offering the following advice:
• Do not wash laundry between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Before starting to wash clothes, run water until the temperature of the water changes to cold. This should allow people to detect red water before starting the wash.
• If red water is in the wash, do not dry the load of clothes; leave them wet. A powder may be obtained at no charge from the utilities department office that will remove stains. Do not use bleach to remove iron stains as this will oxidize the stain and make it impossible to remove.
• Although the City of Niles provides water to residences, persistent red stains could be coming from plumbing inside the home, especially if the pipes are galvanized.
• It is recommended to flush the water heater at least two times a month and more frequently if people have experienced red water.
• Apply an approved iron removal chemical to the water softener’s mineral bed.
• Maintain aerators on faucets and clean inlet screens on washing machines.
• Those who experience red water in their laundry at a time when the utilities department office is not open can obtain iron removal products at supermarkets and drug stores. If polyphosphates cannot be found, oxalic acid can be purchased at drug stores.
Below is a schedule of times and places where work will occur:
• Monday, May 9 — Valving will be conducted and flushing started at 19th to 13th Streets, Industrial Park, Carberry Road, Lake to Howard Street, and North 5th to Pucker Street.
• Tuesday, May 10 — Flushing will continue at 19th to 13th Streets and Howard Street to Main Street.
• Wednesday, May 11 — Flushing will be conducted from 13th to 5th Streets and Wayne to Fort Streets.
• Thursday, May 12 — Flushing will be conducted from 5th to Front Streets, Wayne Street to downtown and Marmont Street to downtown. If time permits, workers will also begin on the west side of Niles.
• Friday, May 13 — Flushing will be completed on the west side of Niles.
To verify an exact location, call 683-4700, ext. 8004 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.