Road improvement plan approved for Niles Twp.
Published 12:20 pm Monday, April 11, 2016
Several local roads are scheduled to receive work in the coming weeks and months as spring marks the start of the 2016 season for road construction.
On Monday, the Niles Township Board of Trustees approved a road improvement plan totaling approximately $300,000 for roads within the township.
The plan was created by the Berrien County Road Commission — the entity responsible for maintaining the safety of roads in the township — with input from township staff.
Township Supervisor Jim Stover said the township would pay $100,000 for the work, while the road commission would cover the rest.
Below is a list of roads scheduled to receive work according to the 2016 road improvement plan:
• State Line Road from Third Street to M-51 (sealcoat)
• South 13th Street from Fulkerson to State Line (sealcoat)
• Third Street from US-12 to Bell (sealcoat)
• Third Street from Fulkerson to State Line (sealcoat)
• Pucker Street from M-51 to Ullery (sealcoat)
• Bond Street from US-12 to City of Niles limits (grind, gravel and prime and double seal)
• Silsbee from Adams to Madison (gravel)
• Madison from Silsbee to Berris (gravel)
• Brick from Berris to Sorin (gravel)
• Mason from Berris to Ontario (gravel)
• Sorin from Brick to Third (gravel)
• Bertram from Adams to Bond (gravel)
• S. 17th from Fulkerson to Bertrand (gravel)
• East Winn from W. End to Walton (gravel)
• State Line from M-51 to College (HMS overlay)
Also last week, the township accepted petitions from residents on Harrah Road who want to pay for improvements through the creation of a special assessment district.
The township recently agreed to match 50 percent of the cost of all township special assessment road projects until the $500,000 maximum is exceeded.
Stover said a little less than $200,000 remains in the fund.
Stover said the next step is for the road commission to obtain cost estimates for the project.
The board also decided to mail a survey to township residents containing questions that would assist the township in updating its master plan.