Local students to compete at Cloverleaf Spelling Bee
Published 11:58 am Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Several students from Buchanan, Brandywine and Niles Community Schools will compete in the Berrien RESA Cloverleaf Spelling Bee Thursday at Lake Michigan College.
The competition features Berrien and Van Buren county public and parochial school districts’ top three middle school spellers in an individual spelling contest. Elementary school students also compete.
Students will compete for numerous cash prizes with the top prize being admission to the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee held in Washington D.C. in the spring. In order to compete in this event, schools must sign up a team with both the regional level and the national level.
Local students competing are:
• Buchanan Middle School — Claire Shelton, Macy Orphanidis, Freddie Van Klaveren
• Ring Lardner — Brandon Rodabaugh, Cameron Listenberger, Calvin Payne
• Brandywine Middle School — Lana Gadde, Alex Manley, Brandon Kirkendall
• Brandywine Elementary School — Olivia Laurita, Allysah Marrow, Emily Farmer
• Niles Extended School Community — Noah James