Dowagiac foundation taking grant applications
Published 7:14 pm Monday, February 15, 2016
The Dowagiac Union Schools Foundation was created in 1984 to provide funding for educational opportunities that fall outside of the school’s operating budget.
The Foundation’s goal is to supplement, expand, and diversify learning experiences of Dowagiac Union Schools students. The Foundation is supervised by a Board of Trustees — volunteer citizens who serve without pay.
The following mini-grants were approved in October:
• Purchase of pedometers for Sister Lakes & Kincheloe — $321.50
• Support of the 5 Star program at DMS — $1,500
• Purchase of supplies for Children’s Sculpture Garden at Patrick Hamilton and Kincheloe — $146.38
• Transportation for DMS Field Trip to Orchard Hills Landfill — $605.36
• Funding at DMS: Robotics Club — $1,000
• Pianist for school musical — $500
• Transportation for DMS field trip to Challenger Learning Center — $1,500
• Funding for Orchestra at school musical — $500
• Two Senior Citizen Luncheons at DUHS — $2,000
• Funding at DMS for Fun Fridays (an incentive program) — $3,110
• Support of the Robotics Club at Union High School — $1,000
Another opportunity for staff to submit applications for mini-grants opened in January.
People who would like to make a tax-deductible contribution to the foundation can send a check to: Dowagiac Schools Foundation, 243 S. Front St., Dowagiac, MI 49047.