Cassopolis board approves mini van purchase
Published 8:55 am Thursday, July 23, 2015
The Cassopolis Board of Education held its reorganization meeting at the Squires Education Center July 13.
The board also unanimously approved the purchase of a mini van for the food service department at a cost not to exceed $34,000.
During discussion, Superintendent Tracy Hertsel told the board that the finance committee had met earlier to review the proposal and with the help of the food service budget, were in a position to make a change in its food delivery process.
The administration and finance committee recommended purchasing the van from the food service budget and not from the general fund. The van would be more economical from the fuel side and would also be available for athletic teams to use in the evening.
The board also hired Cassopolis graduate Alisha McCoy to fill an elementary teaching position.
In other action, the board:
• Elected Lisa Cutting as its vice president.
• Second the second and fourth Mondays of each month for board meetings, which will begin at 7 p.m.
• Approved membership in the Michigan High School Athletic Association.
• Approved its membership in the Michigan Association of School Boards.
• Appointed Cutting as the board’s Legislative Relations Network representative.
• Appointed Deb Deubner as the board’s Berrien/Cass School Board representative, with Jesse Binns as the alternate.
• Set Wednesday, Sept. 9 as the first day of school for the 2015-16 year.