Bobcats claim another Lakeland championship
Published 8:23 am Friday, May 9, 2014
For the fifth team in the last seven years, the Brandywine tennis team captured the Lakeland Conference championship at Plym Park Thursday.
The Bobcats won seven out of eight flights to easily win the final Lakeland Conference championship. Brandywine, Buchanan, Bridgman and Cassopolis will all move to the new Berrien-Cass-St. Joseph (BCS) Conference.
The Bobcats amassed 31 points on its way to the title. Buchanan was second with 20 points and Bridgman third with 18. Cassopolis finished fourth with 11 points.
The lone non-Brandywine player to win a championship Thursday was Buchanan’s Heather Miller, who upset the Bobcats’ Hallie Carnes 0-6, 6-3 and 6-3 to win the No. 3 singles title.
Carnes had defeated Miller in the regular season in a close three-set match.
In the final standings, Brandywine, who was undefeated in the regular season, takes the outright championship. Buchanan and Bridgman tie for second and Cassopolis finishes fourth.
Lakeland Conference Tennis Tournament
1. Brandywine 31; 2. Buchanan 20; 3. Bridgman 18; 4. Cassopolis
1. Abbey Cole (BW) d. Payal Patel (BR) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1; 2. Eishaa Rehman (BW) d. Dara Molica (BU) 6-2, 6-4; 3. Heather Miller (BU) d. Hallie Carnes (BW) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3; 4. Emily Erwin (BW) d. Cheyanne Cowan (BU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Katie Rose-Alli Srmek (BW) d. Ashlynn Young-Kieran Baginske (BU) 6-1, 6-0; 2. Allie Wilson-Genesis Martin (BW) d. Becca Stemm-Jen Jasper (BR) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5; 3. Rachael Szilagyi-Alysse Bolen (BW) d. Puja Patel-Gina Zebell (BR) 6-1, 6-0; 4. Olivia DePriest-Shaylee Smith (BW) d. Morgan Dobbins-Abbey Steffey (BR) 6-0, 6-1
Dual meet standings
1. Brandywine (3-0); 2. Bridgman (2-1); 3. Buchanan (1-2); 4. Cassopolis (0-3)
1. Brandywine; 2. (tie) Buchanan and Bridgman; 4. Cassopolis
Co-Coaches of the Year
Joe Marazita (Brandywine) and Erin Kratky (Buchanan)