Memorial Day event schedule announced
Published 11:08 pm Thursday, May 26, 2011
Memorial Day services organized by American Legion Post 26 will be held Sunday at 11 a.m. at Mission Hills Cemetery, M-51 North, Niles. The speaker will be Niles Legion Post Commander Kenneth Wolf.
A second service will be held Sunday at 1 p.m. at the veterans’ memorial in Riverfront Park on Main Street. The service is also hosted by American Legion Post 26. Wolf will speak at the service and Auxiliary Chaplain Dorothy McLaughlin will give the closing prayer.
The Memorial Day parade will be Monday, with lineup at the former YMCA on State Street at 9 a.m. and the parade staring at 10 a.m. sharp.
Following the parade, a service will be held at Silverbrook Cemetery, with a wreath placed in the Veterans’ Circle near the cannon. Pastor Jeff Whittaker of Michiana Christian Embassy will give the opening prayer and McLaughlin will give the closing prayer. Whittaker will also be the speaker. The Niles High School Band will provide patriotic music for the service.
Memorial Day parade lineup
1. Niles Police Department
2. Michigan State Police
3. Berrien County Sheriff’s Department
4. American Legion Post 26 Commander Kenneth Wolf, master of ceremonies
5. Past Post Commander Harry Roberts, grand marshal
6. American Legion Post 26 Color Guard
7. American Legion Post 26 Firing Squad
8. Sons of the American Legion/Auxiliary Unit-Miss Poppy Taylor Frazier/Blue and Gold Star Mothers
9. Pastor Jeff Whittaker, Michiana Christian Embassy
10. Berrien County Sheriff Paul Bailey
11. Niles High School Marching Band
12. Red Hats Dizzy Dames
13. Polly’s Place of Niles
14. Ferry Street School/Resource/Veterans Association
15. Niles Quizno’s
16. Bruce Leach, 2011 candidate for mayor of Niles
17. Bret Wilkowski, county treasurer
18. Niles Junior High School Band
19. Four Flags Area Apple Festival float
20. Lacey’s Dance and Fitness
21. Girl Scout troops with Hummer
22. Boy Scout troops with trailer
23. Optimist Soccer League
24. St. Mary’s School Boy Scout Troop 579
25. Clark’s Towing Service (four trucks)
26. Niles Shrine Organization float
27. Bill Wozinski’s antique cars and tractors
28. Ron Vanderboegh’s Oliver tractor
29. Michiana Cruisers
30. Brandywine High School Marching Band
31. Claude Morgan, classic car
32. Miss Niles and Miss Michigan Galaxy
33. Mr. and Mrs. Riverfest
34. U.S. Postal Service
35. Niles/Brandywine Girls Softball League
36. Howard Township Little League Baseball, van pulling trailer
37. Brandywine Little League Baseball
38. Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Service
39. Niles City Fire Department
40. Niles Township Fire Department
41. Howard Township Fire Department
42. Bicycles, skateboards, etc.
43. HFS tractors, ATVs and horses
44. First Church of Christ, horse team pulling floats with two goats
All bicycles should stay in formation and not zig-zag in and out of the parade.
For more information, call Kenneth Wolf at 684-3098. Additional parade entries may be accepted.