ND-Pitt live blog: Panthers cut the lead to 20-10
Published 6:10 pm Saturday, October 9, 2010
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – A lack of offense in the third quarter has allowed Pittsburgh to close the gap to 20-10.
Notre Dame doesn’t seem to have the same temp on offense it did in the opening 30 minutes of play.
- Just when it looked like David Ruffer’s streak was about to come to an end, he connects on a 50-yard field goal despite a bobbled snap. Ruffer is now the all-time record holder with 15 straight field goals and he has a new career best with the kick.
- His 50-yard field goal is the longest since 2003.
- Notre Dame’s defense is pinning its ears back to start the second half and going after the Panthers. This is by far the best performance of the year for the Irish defense.
- After completing 12 straight passes, Dayne Crist has now missed on his last six passes with just over eight minutes to play.
- Down 20-3 with 6:50 left in the third quarter, Pittsburgh goes for it on fourth and one. A 30-yard run by Dion Lewis later, the drive is still alive and the Panthers are in the red zone.
- Pittsburgh puts together its best drive of the day and finally finds the end zone as goes 77 yards in 10 plays, scoring on a 4-yard Tino Sunseri touchdown run.
- Ben Turk has his best day punting of the season. Through three quarters, he is averaging 51 yards per kick. He came into the game averaging 37.3.
- In the third quarter, Notre Dame ran 11 plays for 36 yards and one first down. The Irish were 0-for-3 on third down conversions.