The Human Race

Published 2:59 am Saturday, May 28, 2005

By By ERIKA PICKLES / Niles Daily Star
NILES - So, what is the Human Race you're wondering? Is this just a normal race? Am I racing for a trohpy?
Well, none of these can be answered because the Human Race isn't about who ran the fastest or who got the biggest trophy.
The Human Race is a unique opportunity for individuals, families and businesses to work together to raise funds for the Non-Profit organization of their choice. The participating nonprofit groups receive 90 percent of the money collected, while the remaining 10 percent goes to the Volunteer Center of Southwest Michigan, who originally started the race three years ago.
The race continues to grow each year as more people find out about it and more agencies and corporate sponsors join.
This year's race will once again be held at Fernwood Botanical Gardens and Nature Preserve on June 18.
The 10K/5K run and 5K walk will begin at Fernwood going south on Range Line and east on E. River Rd. The 5K run and walk will turn around and follow the route back, while the 10K will continue down along the scenic St. Joseph River, turn onto Mead Rd. and then head back along the original course.
The 1 Mile Fun Walk will be held within the grounds of Fernwood with the paved route being accessible for strollers and wheelchairs.
You may register as a participant by completing The Human Race Registration Form and submitting an $18 event fee to The Volunteer Center of Southwest Michigan. Contact your favorite nonprofit organization to be sure it qualifies to participate in The Human Race.
Each participant must fill out a form and submit payment before June 17
You do not have to collect monies for a charity to participate in the event, however each person must pay the event fee to walk or run.
Top winners in each age group will receive awards and the overall male and female winner in the 10Kand 5K runs receive awards plus a one year family membership to Fernwood.
Registration will be from 7 – 8 a.m. on June 21 with the race beginning at 8:30 a.m. The 1 Mile Fun Run will begin at 8:45 a.m. and food, entertainment and the award ceremony will begin immediately following the race.
Any organization interested in learning more about The Human Race, or for more information on joining, please contact Kathy Rossow at the Volunteer Center at 683-5464.