Coloma too much for Buchanan

Published 4:18 pm Saturday, September 20, 2003

By By MICHAEL BASHARA / Niles Daily Star
COLOMA -- When a team has a lot of different weapons it makes it really hard for a football team to cover them. This was Buchanan's problem Friday night as it dropped one to Coloma, 44-14.
Coloma scored on its first two possessions with big plays. The first score came at 9:05 in the first period on a 15-yard run by Farrid Coleman. This culminated a four-play, 58-yard drive that featured a 43-yard pass from Eric Biggart to Jermain Murphy. Biggart added the PAT.
The second score came about four minutes later when Coleman scored again on a four-yard run. This drive was helped by a 53-yard pass from Biggart to Coleman on a third-and-13. Biggart's kick made it 14-0.
Buchanan got a great kickoff return from Kyle Cornwell who broke open up the middle for a 54-yard return. Buchanan then picked up two first downs, and was knocking on the door when a five-yard penalty made it first-and-15 from the 20-yard line. Coloma's Tom Garland intercepted a Buchanan pass on the two-yard line.
Coloma ran five plays and scored on a 70-yard run by Coleman.
Coloma had a 17-yard field goal by Mike McCoy, and Coleman scored twice in the second period. Coleman's third touchdown of the night came on a 20-yard pass from Biggart. The other touchdown was by Jermayne Franklin on an eight-yard run that capped a 75-yard drive.
The score was 38-0 at the half, and the second half was played with a running clock. Coloma scored on the first possession after the break. Brian Rodgers broke a 41-yard run on the first play of the second half. Two plays later, Rodgers went 27 yards to score. This made the score 44-0 with 9:51 to play in the third period.
Buchanan threw its third interception of the night as C.J. Myers returned the ball 35 yards to 43-yard line. With 1:28 to go in the third period, Buchanan held on fourth-and-three on the 12-yard line.
The Bucks then took over on offense. The Bucks rushed 99 yards in the fourth quarter compared to 62 yards for the first three quarters. Their first score came at 5:00 to go when Gordon Bryant scrambled 18 yards around left end. The snap for the extra point kick was bad.
Buchanan then recovered its onside kick. Seven plays later Jared Rusher carried the final five yards for the score. Cornwell added the two-point conversion to make the score 44-14.
Buchanan again tried an onside kick with 1:11 to play. The ball did not go the necessary 10 yards so Coloma took possession. The Bucks were able to run four plays before time ran out.
The Bucks now begin a two-game home stand as they host Edwardsburg next Friday at 7:30 p.m.