Child sets off fireworks inside home; causes fire

Published 9:35 am Wednesday, July 9, 2003

By By BEN RAYMOND LODE / Niles Daily Star
NILES -- A juvenile set of fireworks inside the kitchen of 1605 Tam-O-Shanter Lane Monday, causing damage to the kitchen's linoleum flooring.
Niles Township Fire Department responded to the fire incident, which was called in by, Victor Grathwohl, a neighbor, at 2 p.m, a township press release said.
When the fire department arrived, they saw light smoke coming from the front of the house but upon further investigation found out that the fire was already out.
The house is owned by Sukoluhle Dorcas Chihaba.
No one was hurt and damage to the kitchen was minimal.
Chief Craig J. Lear with the township fire department said the kitchen was smoked out and that the owners will have to replace the kitchen's linoleum flooring.
He estimated replacing the floor would cost $1,000.
In other police business:
A Niles man pending charges of alleged assault with intent to murder was handed over to the Niles City Police Department by a Cass County Sheriff's deputy Wednesday.
Ronson Lee-Oneal Jordan, 24, 409 S. 15th St., Niles, was handed over when officers with the Niles City Police Department met with the sheriff's deputy at Yankee Street and Almaugus Road, the police report said.
Ronson was held in custody by the sheriff's deputy on a valid warrant held by the Niles City Police Department.
Jordan was taken into custody by the city police and transported to the Niles Police Department where he was booked and lodged with a $100,000.00 bond.