Dryer catches fire

Published 7:41 am Wednesday, June 18, 2003

By By BEN RAYMOND LODE / Niles Daily Star
NILES -- Niles City Fire Department put out a fire at 103 N. Fourth St. Tuesday around 4 p.m.
Lt. Jack Frost said a gas dryer caught fire due to improper insulation.
He said people were at home when the fire started, but none of them were injured.
Frost also said the fire was confined to the room where the dryer was located.
Damages to the apartment were estimated to $2500, Frost said.
The building on 103 Fourth St. has five apartments.
He encourages people to make sure their dryers are installed properly and maintained to avoid similar incidents.
The lint is known to easily catch fire.
In City Police reports:
A man was arrested in Niles Thursday pending charges for alleged possession of marijuana.
Daniel Franck Jr. Hess, 38, 963 Leet Road, Niles, was arrested after allegedly police located marijuana in his vehicle, the police report said.
Hess was arrested and transported to Niles City Police Department where he was booked.
Hess posted a $200 bond and was released.
Amanda Ruth Hawke, 20, 913 Regent St., Niles, was arrested after officers stopped the vehicle she was driving because of a crack in the front window, the police report said.
Hawke was subsequently arrested for allegedly operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol.
She was transported to the Niles City Police Department and was lodged with a $100 bond after eight hours.