Get a strong start on parentingPublished 9:04am Tuesday, March 11, 2014
The Berrien County Great Start Collaborative will be offering parenting education workshops throughout the spring.
They are as follows:
The Power of Positive Parenting
During this seminar, five key principles of positive parenting will be discussed that are important for raising healthy, well-adjusted children who have the skills and confidence they need to succeed at school and in their relationships with others. These key principles will also help parents feel more confident and less stressed, making the task of raising children a more rewarding and enjoyable experience.
• Monday, March 24, 5-7 p.m.: Northside Child Development Center (2020 N. 5th St., Niles). Register by March 17.
Love and Logic Early Childhood Parenting Made Fun!
This workshop is designed for parents of children under the age of 6 and is a five module parenting program designed by the Love and Logic Institute. This parenting program is designed to give you practical skills that can be used immediately. Cost is $15 for the five-week series.
• Tuesdays, April 8, April 15, April 22, April 29 and May 6; 5-7:30 p.m.: First Church of God (2627 Niles Ave., St. Joseph). Register by April 1.
This session will give you techniques and tips to help your child be successful in potty training.
• Thursday, April 24, 5-7 p.m.: Woodland Shores Baptist Church (3555 Shawnee Rd., Bridgman). Register by April 18.
Raising Resilient Children
There are some basic life skills that our children need in order to manage their emotions so they are better able to relate to others and cope with stress. This seminar will cover six key building blocks for emotional resilience and will show parents how they can help their children develop these skills.
• Wednesday, April 30, 5-7 p.m.: Northside Child Development Center (2020 N. Fifth St., Niles). Register
by April 23.
Make It and Take It Music and Play
This presentation will give parents of 0-4 year olds ideas about what kinds of toys and musical instruments they can make out of household items. It will touch on early literacy and language development as related to play and music.
• Wednesday, May 14, 5-7 p.m.; Northside Child Development Center (2020 N. Fifth St., Niles). Register by May 7.
Dinner will be served for the first half hour of each session. Childcare will be provided to those that register.
Registration is required and can be done so by calling (269) 471-7725 ext. 1270 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.