Broncos game against Nicholls on ESPN3Published 5:45pm Thursday, September 5, 2013
KALAMAZOO — Western Michigan University will kick off its 75th season at Waldo Stadium against Nicholls Saturday.
The Broncos (0-1) and Nicholls (0-1) will kickoff at 7:04 p.m. The game can be seen live on ESPN3.
Western opened its season with a 26-13 loss to Michigan State. Nicholls was defeated by Oregon 66-3.
WMU football notes of interest
• Western Michigan plays its 22nd CommUniverCity game
• WMU is 7-1 over the last eight seasons in home openers.
• WMU is on a five-game win streak in home openers.
• WMU has 12 undefeated home seasons in program history and 232 overall wins at Waldo Stadium.
• Western Michigan head coaches are a combined 6-4 in their Waldo Stadium debuts with the last loss coming in Elliot Uzelac’s home opener in 1975, a 27-21 loss to Akron.
• Donald Celiscar was named MAC West Defensive Player of the Week for his 10-tackle, two-PBU performance in the season opener at Michigan State.
• J. Schroeder tied for the second most punts in a game with 11 at Michigan State, starting the night off with a game-long 62-yard punt.
• Schroeder, who had the third most punts in the nation and the 11th longest punt in the nation this week, received honorable mention from the College Football Performance Awards for his effort against MSU.
• Western Michigan will debut an in-game DJ in 2013, making the Broncos only the fourth program in the country to have one.
• Zach Terrell became only the 16th quarterback since 1972, and the second Mid-American Conference signal caller, to throw a touchdown on the first pass attempt of his collegiate career; three QBs accomplished the feat in 2012, including Buffalo’s Joe Licata.
• Fourteen Broncos made either their collegiate or WMU debuts in the season opener at Michigan State last week.
• Western Michigan is playing Nicholls (formerly referred to as Nicholls State) for the third time since 2010.