Niles industrial fire extinguished quicklyPublished 7:32pm Thursday, August 8, 2013
Firefighters made quick work of a fire at an industrial coating applications plant Thursday morning in Niles.
Chief Larry Lamb, of Niles Fire Department, said they responded to a fire call at Toefco Engineered Coating Systems, 1220 N. 14th St., around 11 a.m.
Lamb said the fire started when a commercial dryer malfunctioned, causing debris to ignite and set several filters on fire.
“The people at the plant did a great job of keeping it in check until we arrived,” Lamb said.
No one was injured. There was damage to piping and filters.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 30 minutes.
Niles Charter Township Fire, Clay Fire, Niles Police, and Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Service responded.
Bertrand Township covered the station for Niles Fire.