Niles brush pickup starts next weekPublished 8:28pm Monday, April 1, 2013
Niles residents looking to get rid of brush and limbs leftover from the winter season are in luck.
The city’s department of public works will begin free brush and limb pickup beginning April 9 in the city’s first ward, before moving on to other wards.
Residents must sign up to receive pickup and can do so by calling the city’s department of public works at (269) 683-4700 ext. 3061. Residents can also call the department of public’s works brush/limbs pickup mailbox at (269) 683-4700 ext. 3062. The mailbox was not set up as of Monday morning but is expected to be working soon.
Pick up takes place on second and fourth Tuesday each month through the second Tuesday in October. To take advantage of this service, residents must be signed up by noon on the Friday before each Tuesday pickup. The deadline to sign up for the first round of pickups is Friday.
Pick-up rules are as follows:
• Place limbs and brush out as close to the scheduled pick-up day as possible
• Material must be placed at the curb or edge of roadway by no later than 7 a.m. on the scheduled pickup day, with the cut ends facing toward the street whenever possible.
• Do not place limbs or brush in the street
• Vines, leaves, limbs and brush with dirt attached, rose and other thorn bushes, lawn and flower clippings, and limbs with wire or nails will not be picked up.
• The maximum amount of brush to be picked up per location per list is the bulk (pre-chipped) amount that will fit into a single dump truck
A list of rules can be found on the city’s website at www.ci.niles.mi.us.