Spring clean-up starts April 22Published 5:09pm Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Reliable Disposal of Stevensville edged Michiana Recycling and Disposal Services of Niles for the spring cleanup contract Dowagiac City Council awarded Monday night.
Just $150 separated the two March 19 bids, $9,460 by Reliable and $9,610 by Michiana Recycling.
“Last year, we only received one bid, so we hope we can continue to have multiple bids to keep pricing consistent,” City Manager Kevin Anderson said. “This is a very heavily used program,” which is set for April 22-26.
All materials must be placed curbside by 6 a.m. on Monday, April 22, but not before Saturday, April 20 to minimize blight.
Each street will be scheduled for one pick-up.
Property owners are responsible for cleanup and removal of any debris remaining after pick-up crews pass through their neighborhood.
Restrictions apply to disposed material:
• Refuse must be neatly stacked curbside.
• No refrigerators, freezers or air conditioners will be accepted unless certification stickers are placed on items indicating freon has been removed.
• No household garbage will be accepted.
• No individual item over five feet long, three feet wide or three feet high, weighing over 100 pounds, will be accepted.
• Automotive and marine batteries are not allowed.
• Tires and rims will not be accepted.
• No materials prohibited from disposal in Type II landfills (paints, solvents, oils) will be accepted, although open paint cans containing only dry paint will be accepted.
• No propane cylinders will be accepted.
• All construction/demolition material must be less than one cubic yard in total volume for curbside pick-up.
• No lawn mowers or small engines will be accepted unless gasoline has been completely drained.
• Total curbside volume shall not exceed three cubic yards.
• Windows, glass and mirrors must be less than three feet by four feet in size.
Direct questions about Dowagiac’s spring clean-up program or inquire about disposal alternatives to the city Department of Public Services at: 782-8200.
Tags: Dowagiac City Council