District moving forwardPublished 10:52am Monday, November 5, 2012
To the editor:
Dowagiac Board of Education is moving forward…. Making an informed decision is the most effective way you can help our district to continue to move forward.
I am a believer in being part of a proactive process and I feel very fortunate to be part of such an amazing district.
As we have faced many changes in our education system and the accountability that is now being asked of everyone involved, I feel Dowagiac has arrived at a positive process as I see central office working with administrators and teachers to know that everyone is an important part of the process.
As this has been a learning curve for all of us, we have continued to not look back on the negatives but only forward to positive solutions.
As I will not answer to negative assumptions I will state the positives….
We have a school board of seven, six of whom have children in our district and the other family will be here next school year.
We are personally invested in the success of our educational system.
We have a superintendent who is open to new ideas and always willing to collaborate.
As we look forward to reviewing the needs of our teachers and students, Dr. Daniel has continually tried to find ways to offer more to students with less money.
Our board goals include: improving test scores while supporting the educators along the way.
We are looking for ways to improve community involvement and support.
Being more visible in all buildings and activities to let our educators know we believe in them and the hard work they do on a daily basis.
We have met a few of our goals so far this year:
• Attending opening day for all employees
• Organizing a meet and greet for our community to meet new administrators and board members
• Attending the team building development with all administrators and central office
• Being part of school improvement meetings
•Being a part of curriculum meetings.
• Weekly meeting with superintendent
• Supporting teachers and students in a project-based learning presentation
• Attending school board conferences and classes
• Attending various athletic and fine arts events
• Attending honors club and Interact inductions
There are many more events we have supported and will continue to support. I believe the morale in our buildings is at a positive place, but not yet where we want to be.
We will continue to find ways to move our district forward.
I am thankful to have such a committed board with which to work.