Niles library heads into fall seasonPublished 4:56pm Sunday, August 19, 2012
Until the end of September, patrons can have most or all of their fines and fees eliminated simply by asking to “Start Over.”
The “Start Over” program aims to bring more people to the library by eliminating fines and fees, which may be preventing people from using the library. This program has already helped more than 140 Niles residents. Come to the library to find out if you can “Start Over.”
Girls Read and Guys Read
Girls Read and Guys Read will be combining again Thursday to read John Green’s novel, “The Fault in Our Stars.” TFIOS follows 16-year-old cancer patient Hazel, forced by her parents to attend a support group where she meets and falls in love Augustus, an ex-basketball player and amputee. TFIOS is a must read.
Get ready for Last Blast at the Niles District Library! Before school begins, we will be hosting tons of fun, free activities daily. Attend a program to receive raffle tickets for special Last Blast prizes.
• “Harry Potter” movie marathons for teens. The marathons will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Aug. 27 and 28 and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 29. All movies will be shown in the community room. Feel free to bring a sack lunch or a few snacks as we do a craft and watch all eight movies in one week!
• Kids can join us for sidewalk paint and bubbles just outside of the library from 10:30 a.m. to noon Aug. 27.
• Ladies of all ages can join us for Girls Night Out at 6 p.m. Aug. 28 for hair and makeup tips and learning how to make your own lip-gloss, sugar scrub and a Celtic heart necklace. Registration is required for this event.
• A special “Back to School” story time will occur from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 29 n the story room.
• We’ll host Game Day Aug. 30. The all-day event will include a Sorry tournament starting at 2 p.m. Registration is required for the tournament.
Also on the 30th, we will show a teen movie at 5 p.m. in the community room.
• We will have a family movie day Aug. 31 in the community room at 10:30 a.m., with a showing of Disney’s “The Lion King.” Ronald McDonald will be visiting us at 3 p.m. in the Rotunda.
• Our Superhero Party, for children ages 2 to 6, is Sept. 1, in the story room. Registration is required. This 10:30 a.m. event will feature stories, a craft and the Super Hero Academy.
For more information, or to register for any of the above events, please call us at (269) 683-8545 ext. 106, or stop by the Youth Services Desk.
Town Square Game Day
Town Square Game Day will take place from noon to 4 p.m. today in the Popular Materials section. Also today, the Video Book Club will meet from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the boardroom. This week’s movie is the film adaptation of Ernest Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.”
Kindlegarten I for Apple will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday. This class will focus on the usage of products from Apple’s “i” series: iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Registration is required. To register or to request more information, please contact the information desk by calling (269) 683-8545 ext. 112.
Tags: Niles District Library