Daily Star photo/KATIE ROHMAN A dryer fire was quickly contained at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Niles Tuesday night.

Archived Story

Dryer fire contained at Niles Holiday Inn

Published 12:07am Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express and Suites, 1000 Moore Drive, Niles, evacuated all guests at approximately 10:30 p.m. Tuesday after a commercial dryer began sparking, causing thick smoke to fill the hallways.

According to Niles Township Fire Chief Gary Brovold, the fire was contained to the dryer, which was the only part of the hotel that sustained smoke damage.

Alarms were sounded and firefighters checked all 70 guest rooms as a cautionary measure.

“There are so many unknowns,” Brovold said. Guests started to return to their rooms at about 11:30 p.m.

The Holiday Inn opened along the South 11th Street corridor this year.

Niles City Fire Department, Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Service, Lifecare Ambulance Services, Bertrand Township Fire Department and Clay Fire Territory also responded.

By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Editor's Picks