At the COA in AugustPublished 5:27pm Thursday, July 19, 2012
The following activities are scheduled at the Cass County Council on Aging Lowe Center and Front Street Crossing in August:
• Aug. 1, 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27 and 29, Mondays and Wednesdays: Tai Chi Class. Tai Chi is a form of gentle exercise and stretching that can help reduce stress, increase balance, and increase strength. Instructor Glenda Gibson is certified by the Tai Chi for Health Institute. Cost is $20 per month. At Front Street Crossing, 11 a.m.
• Aug. 2, Thursday: Senior Day at the Fair. Our program begins at 9 a.m. at the Agnes Gregarek building at the Cass County Fairgrounds. Entertainment by the Blue Water Rockers and The Amazing Clark, plus prizes, treats and fun.
• Aug. 2, Thursday: Medication Drop-off. Bring in unused, expired or unwanted medications for proper disposal from 10 a.m. to noon. Medications must be in their original, labeled containers and signed in when dropped off. Medications will not be accepted at any other time.
• Aug. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, Thursdays: Dance Club. Dance to a variety of musical styles and enjoy the fellowship of friends. 9 a.m.
• Aug. 6 and 20, Mondays: Quilting Club. Use or develop your quilting skills to make items for donation to groups in need. Meets 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at COA Lowe Center.
• Aug. 13 and 14, Monday and Tuesday: Brain Aerobics. “Fitness for your Mind” exercises the brain and stimulates neurons. This is a free class, but you must register due to space limitations. This class is open to everyone. 10 a.m. to noon Monday at the COA Lowe Center in Cassopolis and Tuesday at Front Street Crossing in Dowagiac.
• Aug. 14 and 15, Tuesday and Wednesday: AARP Safe Driving Class. Learn new and update old skills for the road. Registration is required for this class set for from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the COA Lowe Center. Cost is $5 for current or retired school employees, $12 for AARP members, and $14 for all others.
• Aug. 17, Friday: Annual Cookout. All food provided by the COA – just bring your appetite! Entertainment by Al Mott begins at 11 a.m.; lunch will be served at noon at the Darlene Lowe Building at the Cass County Fairgrounds. Please call (269) 445-8110 for reservations by Aug. 14. Cost is $2 per person.
• Aug. 24, Friday: Book Club. The “Read & Share” club will discuss “Follow the Stars Home,” a sentimental read about motherhood, love, and cherishing life by Lou Ann Rice. 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the COA Lowe Center.
• Aug. 28, Tuesday: Lunch & Learn. Light hearted, engaging talks over lunch at Front Street Crossing continue with this month’s topic, “Buried Alive – The Hoarding & Cluttering Behavior of Older Adults.” RSVP needed due to space limitations. Program is free; lunch is available for about $5.
• Aug. 29, Wednesday: Ice Cream Social. Free ice cream for seniors served by Meals on Wheels Drivers. 1 p.m. at the Edward Lowe Center in Cassopolis.
These are just some of the activities and classes that the Council on Aging has to offer.
For more information on Council on Aging programs, call (269) 445-8110 or (800) 323-0390 or visit www.casscoa.org.
The Cass Council on Aging Lowe Center is located at the corner of M-60 and Decatur Road in Cassopolis. Front Street Crossing is at 227 S. Front St. in Dowagiac.
Many activities are free of charge, and schedules are subject to change.