Volunteer Southwest Michigan: Help out at the Chemical Bank RacePublished 10:23pm Monday, July 9, 2012
Spotlight of the week
Support the work of the Benton Harbor/St. Joseph YMCA by volunteering to help at the Chemical Bank Race for YMCA from 8 to 11 a.m. July 21. Help with the racecourse, cheer on runners/walkers, hold signs and distribute water. This is a great volunteer opportunity for families and friends.
• People come to the Berrien County Courthouse for a variety of reasons besides court hearings.They are not familiar with the building layout and the various departments and would appreciate friendly help as a welcoming team volunteer.
• Are you someone who cares about your community or neighborhood?
Do you believe that youth in trouble for the first time can positively redirect their lives if given the chance and some guidance?
Do you believe that victims should be able to speak and be heard with respect? Become involved with helping juveniles and victims by joining the Berrien County Trial Court-Community Restorative Board.
• There are children on a waiting list hoping to be matched with a caring adult mentor. Learn more about mentoring opportunities at www.volunteerswmi.org.
• How to pay the bills — this is always a concern for local nonprofits. Have you considered helping a nonprofit with its fundraising? Think about a cause you care about and then contact the Volunteer Center or visit www.volunteerswmi.org to pick an organization with a mission that matches your passion.
American Red Cross of West Michigan
• July 18 — American Red Cross office, 3838 Niles Rd., St. Joseph, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• July 23 — Woodland Shores Baptist Church, 3555 Shawnee Rd., Bridgman, 1 to 7 p.m.
• Support youth as a volunteer as a score keeper, doing set up and tear down at the South Haven Gus Macker event at South Beach July 28.
• Big Bear Auction Company is hosting a summer festival Aug. 25 in Eau Claire, with a portion of the proceeds going to support Berrien County Council for Children. Volunteers will help with parking, judging contests (pie eating, bakeoff, chili cook-off), organizing and handing out paperwork for the car and motorcycle show and many other activities during this all-day festival for families.
• Niles Burn Run raises money for the Great Lakes Burn Camp by hosting a family friendly charity motorcycle festival every year in Niles.
The money raised helps to send kids to camp who have been traumatized by fire.
Volunteer for a few hours July 14-16. There will be vendors, bands and demonstrations. Help with security, parking, running booths, serving food and running errands.
• Krasl Art Fair July 14-15 on the bluff in St. Joseph is a juried show featuring more than 200 artists and offering a wide variety of high quality art and fine crafts. More volunteers are needed to help with parking and operations.
• The Volunteer Southwest Michigan will be offering Youth Summer Serve 2012. Volunteer for 40 hours over the summer and you will be officially recognized. It looks great on job and college applications.
Contact Callie at firstname.lastname@example.org and find the summer volunteer position that fits your interests and schedule.
In cooperation with Volunteer Southwest Michigan, we are pleased to publish opportunities for volunteers each week. To inquire about these opportunities or to make an appointment, call 983-0912 in the St. Joseph-Benton Harbor area, 683-5464 in the Niles area; visit www.volunteerswmi.org; or send email to email@example.com for further information. Appointments do not constitute an obligation to accept a volunteer opportunity. The center is a United Way agency affiliated with the HandsOn Network.