Archived Story

Homemade paper-towel tube firework injures man

Published 3:56pm Monday, July 9, 2012

An Illinois man had to be airlifted to a burn center after a homemade firework exploded in his hand Saturday night near Magician Lake in Cass County.

Charles Harbin, 42, of Riverside, Ill., told police he built a firework out of a paper towel tube and black powder. When Harbin tried to ignite the firework it exploded, causing injuries to his right hand and right arm and burns all over his body.

Harbin was airlifted to Bronson Hospital’s burn center for treatment.

The incident occurred on Maple Island Drive on Maple Island in Silver Creek Township at 8:55 p.m., according to the Cass County Sheriff’s Department.

Silver Creek Township Police Department, Sister Lakes Fire Department, Pride Care Ambulance and Air Care assisted deputies at the scene of the incident, which remains under investigation.

By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Editor's Picks